The basics of a fleet
Fleets define what set of duties are available for a service to use. In order to create a new fleet on Spare Platform, you can do the following:
- In Spare Launch, select Service Planning
- Under Service Planning, select Fleets
- In the top right, select New Fleet
Once you start creating your fleet, you will have the option to set the name, type, driver wait time threshold and potentially the matching configuration.
To better understand how to use fleets, refer to the examples below.
Fleets as a transportation operator
Imagine you are a taxi company that has been contracted to provide a service to a transit agency. You might operate two different fleets of vehicles:
- Fleet 1: Your entire taxi fleet which has the option to accept (or reject) incoming trip requests from the transit agency
- Fleet 2: A set of drivers who work hourly for the transit agency as dedicated drivers who will be automatically pushed trips by the transit agency
You can easily set up these two fleets using Spare Platform. Because Fleet 1 is allowed to accept or reject trips, you will want to set the
Accept/Reject. Because Fleet 2 uses dedicated drivers who should automatically accept trips from the transit agency you should set the
As both of these fleets are used for a transit agency, you will also want to set up fleet sharing. Read Introduction to Fleet Sharing to learn more about how to set this up.
Fleets as a transportation service provider
If you both provide a service to end-users, and you manage the operations directly, you can set up fleets directly in your own organization.
Imagine you are a transit provider looking to provide dedicated vehicle service in two service areas. You might want each service area to have its own dedicated fleet of vehicles. In this case, you would want to create two fleets, one for each service area.