Occasionally you may have questions such as:
- Why wasn't I able to book a trip for person A?
- Why wasn't person B and person C pooled?
- Why was the driver taking a long detour to pickup person D?
Although these questions are not always easy to answer, they do usually have some logical explanations.
The easiest way to diagnosing operational problems and answering questions, such as the current capacity of a vehicle or its current route is using the Live Map.
Whenever a new request is created or changes are being made, the Spare Engine must evaluate if and how the system can accommodate, given the constraints and settings provided in the Service. Some of the most important constraints include:
- Start/End address and time of the Duties.
- Accessibility features and capacity of the vehicles available.
- Time Rules (opening hours).
- Detour Flexibility Level: The maximum allowed in-trip detour for Riders.
- Leave-At Forwards Flexibility: How many minutes a confirmed pickup may be moved.
- Scheduled Search Flexibility: How many minutes before/after scheduled bookings can be made.
- Trip Consistency: If the service accommodates for consistency of trips.
- Group restrictions: Only members of a specific group can book trips within a specific zone.
Back to the questions above, here are some typical explanations:
Why wasn't I able to book a trip for person A?
- The number of passengers and/or accessibility features cannot be accommodated (either at this time due to other trips or generally by the service).
- The estimated pickup and/or dropoff time falls outside of the service’s operating hours
- There are no duties scheduled for this service during the estimated pickup and/or dropoff time.
- The Driver won't have time to go back to End Address of the duty in time.
Why wasn't person B and person C pooled?
- Pooling person B and C will not comply with the detour constraint.
- They cannot be pooled without moving person B, C or someone elses pickup by too much.
- The number of accessibility features cannot be accommodated.
Why was the driver taking a long detour to pickup person D?
- The detour was within the maximum allowed in-trip detour for Riders.
In addition, other service configurations may impact how the Spare Engine does its matching and routing. For a more comprehensive overview of the Spare Engine and other constraints, please visit LINK.